EPPO is recruiting a new Director-General to start on the 2025-01-01
EPPO is an intergovernmental organization responsible for cooperation in plant health, founded by a Convention signed in 1951 by 15 European countries. EPPO now has 52 members, covering almost all countries of the European and Mediterranean region and Central Asia. Its objectives are to protect plants, to develop international strategies against the introduction and spread of dangerous plant pests and to promote safe and effective control methods. As a Regional Plant Protection Organization recognized under the International Plant Protection Convention, EPPO also participates in global discussions on plant health organized by FAO. EPPO produces many standards and publications on plant pests, phytosanitary regulations, and plant protection products. EPPO is governed by a Council (representatives of all member governments, meeting once a year) with the help of an Executive Committee (seven Governments elected on a rotational basis, meeting twice a year). EPPO hosts the Euphresco network of phytosanitary research coordination and the European Minor Uses Co-ordination Facility. These two activities have their own governance and funding arrangements, but EPPO is responsible for the staff and the finances. The Secretariat of the Organization is headed by the Director-General and Assistant Director who along with other senior staff form the current Management Team. The Secretariat currently comprises 9 permanent staff and 9 staff on fixed-term contracts. The official languages of EPPO are English and French.
TERMS OF APPOINTMENT OF THE DIRECTOR-GENERAL OF EPPO
- An advanced degree in plant science or a related subject,
- Internationally recognized reputation in plant protection or phytosanitary regulation with significant technical and scientific experience,
- Having shown exceptional efficacy in a senior position, having been involved in international cooperation and with proven capacity to mobilize countries to a common goal,
- Leadership skills, including strategic direction of an organization,
- Skills in management of relationships,
- Skills in Staff and Financial Management and Planning,
- Citizen of an EPPO member country,
- Proficient in spoken and written English, knowledge of French or Russian would be an advantage.
Duties and responsibilities
- leads the Secretariat of the Organization (currently 18 persons).
- develops the strategy for the Organization under the guidance of the Council and Executive Committee.
- develops and carries out a programme of work and associated budget which are approved annually by the Council.
- reports at each regular Session of the Council on the activity of the Organization.
- is the legal representative of the Organization in its relations with all authorities and in all current transactions.
- takes an active part in delivering the programme of work, including chairing the two Working Parties, Expert Panels, Expert Working Groups and occasional workshops and drafting technical documents in English.
- travels regularly to member countries within the EPPO region and represents the EPPO region in other regions and in global fora.
The Council of the Organization appoints the Director-General for a period of 5 years. The post will fall vacant on 2025-01-01 and it is intended to be filled without delay. The Director-General is eligible for re-appointment for further periods subject to Council approval on each occasion.
The Organization follows United Nations terms of service and is a member of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund. The post is offered at UN grade D 1/4, at an annual salary currently of the order of 130 000 Euros, plus dependents’ allowances if applicable, after notional tax but before social security and pension contributions. The post carries diplomatic status.
EPPO headquarters in Paris.
Applications should reach the EPPO Secretariat not later than 2024-01-26, marked ‘confidential - DG recruitment’ by e-mail to email@example.com. Any application received after this deadline will not be considered. The applicant should include a formal letter justifying their candidature, illustrating their skills with examples, and setting out their vision as to how they would carry out the role. A detailed Curriculum Vitae should be included describing all steps of the candidate’s career, professional experience in plant health, knowledge of languages, achievements in international co-operation, leadership experience (strategic, staff and financial management) and publications.
Applications received will be examined by the Executive Committee and further evidence, assessments and letters of recommendation may be requested. A longlist will then be constituted. Long-listed candidates will be invited for an interview. An interview by video connection will be organized in March 2024 and an interview in person in Paris on the 21st of May 2024 with an opportunity to meet with EPPO Secretariat staff. After this interview a shortlist of selected candidates will be constituted. The new Director-General will be elected from these selected candidates at the Council Session by a majority of members present and voting. This Council Session will take place in Baku, Azerbaijan, on the 24th of September 2024.
In the selection process, EPPO acts in line with the privacy protection rules laid down in the EU GDPR Regulation 2016/679.
For additional information about the Organization, please visit www.eppo.int. Further information regarding the role and responsibilities of the Director-General may be obtained from the Chair of EPPO, Mr Michael Kurzweil, the current Director-General, Mr Nico Horn, or the Assistant Director, Ms Valérie Grimault, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.